Monday, May 12, 2014

Is "tattoo concept artist" a real job?




Rebecca Lo


Okay, so I read a lot of fanfiction (don't judge too harshly, I read a lot of books too) and I was reading one where a man offered a girl a job as a tattoo designer. She drew out different designs and then he would do the actual tattooing. That got me wondering if that was something that could be pursued as an actual career (I mean how cool would it be to have someone love something you designed so much that they get it permanetly copied onto their skin?). Also, if it is something that could be pursued as a career, is there any extra information you can give me (like tips, links, helpful college courses, or anything smilar)?


Answer
Well, currently, I'm a tattoo designer. People contact me, I draw up a design and then they pay me for it. The difference is that I work for myself, not a tattoo artist. Eventually I plan to be a tattoo artist, but it's all baby steps.
The job your referring to does exist, in fact my last tattooist did commissions for an older tattoo artist when he was younger (before his apprenticeship).
Have you thought about becoming an actual tattoo artist? Your profits will be a lot better than just a tattoo designer. End of the day, most tattoo artists can draw themselves (ones that can't shouldn't be in the industry) and are unlikely to pay a middle-man to do the design when they can do it themselves.
The career you're thinking of would be difficult to find, and would take a hell of a lot of luck.
My advice for you is start charging for tattoo commissions now, for your self rather than for a tattooist. Then see where it takes you. If you want to do this you'll have to work hard to get yourself noticed in an already highly-saturated industry. You'll have to sell yourself. Use Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Tumblr, Pinterest and Deviantart to get your work noticed. Try and get featured on tattoo blogs and websites, and make sure all internet traffic goes back to you. It's hard. You'll have to shift through all the crappy designs to get that occasional amazing client who asks you to do something you actually enjoy. But it's the right way to go about it. When you've built up a portfolio take it around tattoo studios (or email them) and see if they're up for taking on a tattoo designer. Or at least try and sell them some flash. Ask them some advice on what direction you should head. You might even end up grabbing your self an apprenticeship, if that's what you decide you want to do.
In regards to college courses, the tattoo industry is a beaut, because it doesn't rely too much on qualifications. Essentially the only things you need are skill, patience and a hard working ethic. Obviously, if you can study art, this will help vastly. But a degree is not necessary.
There are also websites that pay you for collections of flash, which are downloadable for users.

Which tattoo do you like the most?




Taylor Has


Well ever since i was about 8 or 9 i have wanted to get a tattoo. Now i am only 15 and my parents don't me getting a tattoo and i completely respect that. I'm not going to be stupid and run off and get it done in a shady shop without permission. It's something i really want so i can wait. But anyway, i was wondering what you guys think of these tattoos/designs. I've always wanted a black rose but recently i came across a few designs that i fell in love with. Please keep in mind that i want the tattoo on either my mid-to-lower back(No not a tramp stamp, think about where a girl who has decent length hair, about where the hair would fall on her back.), on my side between the the ribs and hipbone, or on my hip. I choose these places because the career i want to have requires you to be professional and i still want to be able to show them if i choose but still easily cover them up. So what tattoo do you like best and which placement do you think would be best for it? Sorry for all my babbling haha, here are the pictures:
http://tattoosnob.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/TonyMancia.jpg
http://www.tattoos99.com/wp-content/uploads//2460/Rose.jpg
http://www.ratemyink.com/images/ul/104/black-n-grey-rose-tattoo-104200.jpeg
http://data.whicdn.com/images/5103355/tumblr_lcbihxLJe41qctazvo1_400_thumb.jpg
http://media.onsugar.com/files/2010/10/39/5/1129/11299226/22/feather_tattoo_designs_back_upper_sexy_girls.jpg
NOTE: Please ignore the placement and size of the tattoo in the picture. And no "Don't do that to your body!" I have wanted this for a long time and will get one. :]
Also! If you know of any cool piercings feel free to share them. But nothing too extreme, ie. A corset piercing, i think they a pretty but they look very painful and never in my life would i think about getting one haha. And i put the question in this category instead of "Tattoos" because i want to get a wide range of views



Answer
I think you should design one yourself. If I'd gotten a tattoo done for a symbolic, sentimental reason I wouldn't want some young girl copying it because she thought it was "cool".
Get one which has a meaning and that you won't regret having when you're older.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment